Understanding the various models of health insurance in the U.S. is essential in helping you develop foundational health care knowledge for your role as a health care professional. The following discussion is designed to help you understand how health care is financed and how health insurance plans influence patients and providers.
Post a substantive response that addresses each of the following components (minimum 175 words):
- Describe the following types of health insurance plans in your own words, and from the perspective of a health care professional.
- Health maintenance organization (HMO)
- Preferred provider organization (PPO)
- Point-of-service (POS)
- Provider-sponsored organization (PSO)
- High deductible health plans (HDHPs) and health savings accounts (HSAs)
- Consider each of the following in your response:
- How the care is paid for or financed.
- The structure of the model (e.g., gatekeeper, open-access, or combination of both).
- The benefits for providers.
- The challenges for providers.