Former President Suharto of Indonesian once famously dismissed the concern over his country’s corruption by saying: Well you come out here from Washington with these high ideas to tell us….
From the cultural perspective, organizations are systems of beliefs, values, and taken-for-granted norms that guide everyday behavior.
From the cultural perspective, organizations are systems of beliefs, values, and taken-for-granted norms that guide everyday behavior. The lens of culture enables us to focus on the ways in which people communicatively construct systems of meaning that shape and embody these beliefs and values.
For this discussion you will:
- Research any organization of interest to you by looking at their website or additional news reports. (This can be an organization you are involved with, including your own home.)
- Examine this organization’s culture as best you can.
In your discussion, respond to the following:
- What sorts of symbols, terminology, and artifacts do you find that are relevant to understanding this organizational culture?
- Does the organizational culture convey power over the people involved with this organization?
- Does this organization illustrate a pragmatist or purist approach to culture? Explain your reasoning.
- Share any metaphors, rituals, and founding stories that reinforce this organizational culture or stand out to you.