The following question will give you a chance to self-evaluate, to think about what you’ve been learning in this course, and to draw your own conclusions about how you can….
Examine the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1980s.
Discussion: Cold War and Communism
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 9, 10
- Minimum of 1 scholarly source (in addition to the textbook)
Option 1: Examine the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1980s. Include the following in your discussion:
- What were the main reasons for the collapse?
- What role did the constant state of militarism and the costs of keeping up with the U.S. military buildup have on the Soviet economy?
- What role did uprisings and rebellions in Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, and East Germany (among others) have on the sudden collapse of the USSR?
Option 2: Examine communism and socialism.
- We hear so often today that socialism and communism are the same thing. Examine the similarities and differences between the two.
- Why do so many Americans seem to hate even the word “socialism”?
- We already employ some socialism in this country today (and for the past several decades). Examples include libraries, police departments, public education, Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid, public parks, roads/highways, and so on. How do these services factor into arguments for or against socialism?