Your task is to select one of the four data sets supplied for analysis. In each data set
there are 2000 pieces of data. You are required to take three (3) independent random
samples from your chosen set. It is envisaged that each of the complete data sets are
Normally Distributed (i.e. the Bell Shaped Curve). Please complete the following
tasks and present your results and findings in a report.
1. Obtain 3 independent random samples of all different (random) sizes.
Samples should be no larger than 100 and no smaller than 40. Use the random
number generator and random sampler function in Excel to complete this task
(User instructions will be posted on VU Collaborate to assist you with this
2. Construct a Frequency Table and Histogram for each sample.
3. Find the Minimum, Q1, Median, Q3, and Maximum and then construct a Box
Plot for each sample. There are many apps on the internet that can create an
excellent electronic version of a Box Plot.
4. Calculate the means and standard deviations of each of the samples.
5. For each of the samples, confirm or otherwise, whether the 68-95-99.7% rule
fits to the samples created.
6. Produce a report that will present your results, calculations and findings. The
report should contain the following sections (but not limited to):
a. Title Page
c. Statistical Analysis and Calculations
d. Findings (Did the samples infer that the data followed a Normal
Distribution? Did the samples show any consistency? What other
patterns (or abnormalities) were observed?).